Photo
- - - - -

What kind of stuff would you like me to post?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 OCDetails

OCDetails

• Members
  • 402 posts
  • Location...right behind you!!
  • Vehicle(s):08 IS-F (RIP), 09 Rav4 V6 Limited, 05 Odyssey

Posted 11 January 2012 - 11:24 PM

Hey there! I tell ya... I love fresh and clean forums. I don't have to worry about repeating myself in them. lol However, since I've only got so much that I can just cut and paste from my blog which is still relevant, I was hoping some of you might have some ideas to give me and the other detailing gurus who are here. I'm not sure who all has made their way over here, but we had a few of them on the 9thgen forums and I'm sure we can fill this place up with good content to make life easy for people looking for good 'how to' articles or product reviews.

I'm by no means the only source of information or the most right when it comes to this kind of thing, but I try to add new content to the internet every year even at the risk of being repetitive, so any ideas to help keep me from posting the same stuff over and over again will be appreciated. :) I've got a ton of new products to review this year and a couple clients I've picked up with some ridiculously hot vehicles to test them on, so I'm really looking forward to the coming year. In the meantime, if there is anything you'd like me to resurrect from the archives or stuff you'd like me to create new, then just let me know and I'll get to work. :)

Posted Image

~ ~ ~ www.OCDetails.com ~ ~ ~
Obsessive Compulsive Detailing

#2 Beau

Beau

• Members
  • 67 posts
  • LocationCambridge, ON
  • Vehicle(s):2004 Matrix XR

Posted 12 January 2012 - 02:25 AM

Your other write-ups are great! and excellent pics!

I would really like to see a how-to on properly polishing and getting the scratches and oxidation out of the plastic lens on my headlights!! (what kind of sandpaper/polish to use etc... ) I have tried many "lens clearing kits" and plastic polishes and eventually they just end up looking the same or worse :(

#3 OCDetails

OCDetails

• Members
  • 402 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 04:16 PM

Good idea! I have been meaning to put some of the pictures I took on that process to good use. They are off a Mustang, but the process is the same on Corollas. We just don't necessarily have to take the whole housing out to polish them. :)

Posted Image

#4 InfuzeYou

InfuzeYou

• Members
  • 626 posts
  • LocationStuttgart, Germany
  • Vehicle(s):04 Corolla S

Posted 13 January 2012 - 07:34 PM

Most of your guides involve using a machine polisher of some sort, which I don't have. I'd love to see a write-up on what can be done by hand, as I have a phobia (albeit irrational) of using any sort of machine on my paint. Also, I haven't the foggiest idea how to use this clay bar I bought, so some insight on that would be great as well.
Performance Mods: K&N Typhoon SRI, Megan Racing coilovers, DC Sports strut bar, Alutec lightweight crank pulley, R1 Concepts cross-drilled/slotted rotors, Hawk HPS pads, NRG voltage stabilizer/grounding kit, Optima Red Top battery

Other Mods: Chrome w/black mesh grille, H9 chrome projector headlights, 5000K 35W HIDs, 2nd gen Altis LED tails, AVS window visors, stubby antenna, Tc armrest, R├Ązo quick-shift knob, Enkei Super 7 18" wheels, Avital remote start w/ trunk pop & lock/unlock, LED Swap: every single bulb replaced w/ LEDs (interior & exterior), plus engine bay LEDs and under-dash LED bars

Coming soon: JP header, Vibrant axle-back exhaust, high-flow catalytic converter, Weapon-R oil catch can, TRD CAI

#5 OCDetails

OCDetails

• Members
  • 402 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 10:14 PM

Good ideas. I'll tell you now though that there really isn't much you can do by hand if you are looking at doing anything more than maintaining your car. Working entirely by hand is like making $100 less per month than you need to without going into debt to cover the rest. Gradually you are going to pick up damage that is not being sorted out by hand waxing and washing. Eventually your vehicle will be to the point that only a machine can correct the damage done to it. Some people start out car ownership that way and others gradually get there over the course of a few years. The bottom line is that working by hand will only maintain your paint and it really won't do much to actually correct swirls and other flaws in it.

The good news is that a hundred bucks is all it costs to get a PorterCable 7424XP shipped to your door (maybe more if you are in Germany). You literally cannot hurt your paint with this machine unless you tried really hard. My 8 year old uses my PorterCable all the time. I've got pictures of him using it when he was 4 in fact. You really don't have to have stress when it comes to using that machine. Not only can you not hurt your paint with it (unless you try really hard) it is also a very effective tool at actually correcting paint. Definitely worth the money.

Posted Image

#6 hughesjasonk

hughesjasonk

The Bad Guy!

• Administrators
  • 4,248 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 04:37 AM

i'm still wondering when your next trip to ny will be so you can detail my car. lol
Silence is golden.... But duck tape is silver.......

MOD LIST

#7 Bryar33092

Bryar33092

• Members
  • 586 posts
  • LocationMid-Atlantic
  • Vehicle(s):'03 Corolla LE

Posted 12 March 2012 - 04:15 PM

I'd say simple interior tips on how to fix/clean simple and common issues.

Like what is safest to use on what surface, how to get in the tiny cracks, when and when not to clean. Tips on how to keep your interior cleaner and looking "new" longer, etc.

While that is a vary bland answer, and sorry for that, I just think it's the simple stuff that makes the biggest difference

#8 OCDetails

OCDetails

• Members
  • 402 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 03:51 PM

I'd say simple interior tips on how to fix/clean simple and common issues.

Like what is safest to use on what surface, how to get in the tiny cracks, when and when not to clean. Tips on how to keep your interior cleaner and looking "new" longer, etc.

While that is a vary bland answer, and sorry for that, I just think it's the simple stuff that makes the biggest difference

I am pretty sure I have posted that as part of one of the three parts of the detailing guide I posted, but I can do another one specific to interior detailing too. My interior is pretty rough once again after not being cleaned out for a couple months, so it may make for some good walkthrough material. I'll write something up when I get a chance to do the interior of my car in the next few weeks. The weather is starting to get better and I'm getting calls to get things scheduled, so unfortunately my cars always seem to be the last ones to get done. lol

Posted Image

#9 thebam

thebam

• Members
  • 401 posts
  • LocationHouston TX
  • Vehicle(s):03 Matrix XRS

Posted 20 March 2012 - 08:03 PM

engine bay cleaning :)

#10 OCDetails

OCDetails

• Members
  • 402 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 10:34 PM

engine bay cleaning :)

Look at the Corolla Detailing Part 1 thread. It covers wheels and engine detailing specifically for the Corolla. I've written it a couple different ways using different cars and products, but the process is pretty much the same regardless of what you are working on. I've got some engine detailing to do this spring and will take pictures and update the article specifically for engine detailing though. I've neglected under the hood pretty badly lately and there is definitely some work to be done there.

Posted Image

#11 Ericazvfk

Ericazvfk

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 06:59 AM

Trying to see what kinda role plays you guys would like to see done here. So vote You can pick up to 3 options. And if you have ideas share

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users