Throttle Body Cleaning

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 realtennisman

realtennisman

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 September 2017 - 11:44 AM

I have a 2006 1.6vvti Corolla series IX and due to fluctuating idling speeds, decided to clean the throttle body. After removing the air intake from the TB, I opened the butterfly valve and, using a toothbrush and a little solvent, removed the oily residue (and there was plenty of it) from inside the TB and also on the reverse of the butterfly valve.

After refitting everything, I started the engine. The only difference now is that for the first two or three minutes the tick over speed is around 2000 rpm dropping to around 1100 rpm then after another five minutes to 700 rpm.

What has caused this change? I'm concerned it may fail the MOT due to emission problems.

This may be an old chestnut but any advice would be appreciated.

Regards.

#2 ImUrOBGYN

ImUrOBGYN

• Members
  • 76 posts

Posted 04 September 2017 - 08:29 PM

Here's a quickndirty: If it hasn't been long, the ECU could still be adjusting. You said yourself you removed a lot of gunk. Car has to adjust for it. Other than that, recheck your work and make sure you didn't hook anything up incorrectly, forgot anything, and that all your connections are good and flush. 

And, of course, any codes need to be read.

"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered." - George Best

2003 Pontiac Vibe GT - 1989 Toyota Supra Turbo - 2010 Toyota RAV4 V6 4x4

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

"Too many good docs are gettin' outta business. Too many OBGYN's aren't able to practice their... their love with women all across this country."
George W. Bush

#3 EricTMah

EricTMah

• Moderators
  • 649 posts
  • Vehicle(s):05 Corolla XRS - Sleeping
    16 Kia Soul

Posted 21 September 2017 - 08:42 AM

I have a 2006 1.6vvti Corolla series IX and due to fluctuating idling speeds, decided to clean the throttle body. After removing the air intake from the TB, I opened the butterfly valve and, using a toothbrush and a little solvent, removed the oily residue (and there was plenty of it) from inside the TB and also on the reverse of the butterfly valve.

After refitting everything, I started the engine. The only difference now is that for the first two or three minutes the tick over speed is around 2000 rpm dropping to around 1100 rpm then after another five minutes to 700 rpm.

What has caused this change? I'm concerned it may fail the MOT due to emission problems.

This may be an old chestnut but any advice would be appreciated.

Regards.

How's the car running now?  Still having the same high idle problem at start up, or has it fixed itself?

Posted Image

#4 realtennisman

realtennisman

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 12:23 PM

How's the car running now?  Still having the same high idle problem at start up, or has it fixed itself?

Thanks for the follow up. Still running around 2000rpm for a short time. Someone mentioned, when first starting engine, turning on A/C, fan at full blast for 4 minutes or so. This, they say, will reduce initial rpm next time engine is started. Is this true?

#5 EricTMah

EricTMah

• Moderators
  • 649 posts
  • Vehicle(s):05 Corolla XRS - Sleeping
    16 Kia Soul

Posted 22 September 2017 - 09:23 AM

Thanks for the follow up. Still running around 2000rpm for a short time. Someone mentioned, when first starting engine, turning on A/C, fan at full blast for 4 minutes or so. This, they say, will reduce initial rpm next time engine is started. Is this true?

I've never heard of that. 

have you reset your ecu?  Try unplugging the battery for 5mins, then plugging it back in, start the car and allow the ecu to make the adjustments.  Also, have you double checked that all your vacuum lines are back where they're supposed to be?

Posted Image

#6 realtennisman

realtennisman

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 September 2017 - 06:23 PM

I only removed the air intake hose from the throttle body when I cleaned it. Removed the hose again and checked the inside of the throttle body and the butterfly valve. All looked good. Re attached the hose and started her up from cold. 2000rpm for approximately 90 secs, then it fell to around 1700, dropping gradually to around 750rpm.

I removed negative terminal for around 15min but to no effect.

The amount of time it stays at 2000rpm on start up seems to be diminishing.

Ever hopeful.

Kevin

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users