16 replies to this topic

#1 DickinSebastopol

DickinSebastopol

• Members
  • 21 posts
  • LocationSebastopol, CA
  • Vehicle(s):2005 Corolla XRS

Posted 05 March 2014 - 09:32 AM

My front bumper and spoiler are really shot to heck from loose freeway gravel and pebbles along with the front part of my hood. Since the bumper and spoiler are made of plastic, would it be ok to clay it out then use Meguiar's Ultimate Compound with my buffer? Will take a few pics in the morning just so you can see what I have to contend with. Co-workers say that my car looks great after a wash. Except for the front bumper, which looks duller than dull.
Richard/Dick in Sebastopol

Sebastopol, CA!
2005 Toyota Corolla XRS
Stock (so far)

#2 dmsyr

dmsyr

Assy McGee

• Moderators
  • 3,310 posts
  • LocationAlbuquerque, NM
  • Vehicle(s):That slammed 3p1 XRS
    04 Saturn Vue (RIP 10-30-2015)
    2013 Chevy Equinox

Posted 05 March 2014 - 02:10 PM

That should be just fine :)

Injen,Redliner9k PPE header,2.5 custom exhaust,ES MM Inserts, BC Racing Extreme Drop coilovers,TRD quickshifter,custom painted carbon fiber hood, headlight projector retrofit,6000k lows,4300k fogs,Altis grille,Altis 2nd gens,Altis roof spoiler,VG Sharkfin antenna,Altis duckbill spoiler,ESAM visors,Ultra Racing 4 pt. strut bar,Aodhan AH05 wheels
'03 Matrix XRS ECU-LIFTing at 6200

BOLTED AND SLAMMED

#3 Josh.Chaos

Josh.Chaos

• Members
  • 857 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 03:29 PM

It won't hurt anything, but any black spots you see are a lost cause... that means it's all the way down to the plastics. The spats in particular are terrible, they seem to only have one coat of paint on them and no primer underneath, same with the rear kit and the sideskirts... good luck, I'm sure OCDetails wil chime in at some point, but if not, read this: http://ocdetails.com/ ... He has a damn good guide in 3 parts on how to detail your corolla...
Posted Image

#4 DickinSebastopol

DickinSebastopol

• Members
  • 21 posts
  • LocationSebastopol, CA

Posted 05 March 2014 - 06:06 PM

Yes, thanks. Was pouring over the OCD site while this site was down yesterday. Will grab some pics and post after I have breakfast, lol.......

Sebastopol, CA!
2005 Toyota Corolla XRS
Stock (so far)

#5 DickinSebastopol

DickinSebastopol

• Members
  • 21 posts
  • LocationSebastopol, CA

Posted 05 March 2014 - 08:10 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Sebastopol, CA!
2005 Toyota Corolla XRS
Stock (so far)

#6 omgLIFT

omgLIFT

• Members
  • 124 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 09:02 PM

It looks like it's just primered to be honest. I'm pretty sure it's so oxidized that you are better off just having your front bumper and oem lips resprayed.

#7 DickinSebastopol

DickinSebastopol

• Members
  • 21 posts
  • LocationSebastopol, CA

Posted 05 March 2014 - 09:35 PM

I was thinking the same. Even thinking the car may have been in an unrevealed accident. The hood looks off a centimeter or two from either side when it's latched.

Sebastopol, CA!
2005 Toyota Corolla XRS
Stock (so far)

#8 onemph05

onemph05

• Members
  • 427 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 04:06 AM

Go on Yelp and search for Bumper Zone. He is mobile, based out of Clear Lake and does great work.

#9 DickinSebastopol

DickinSebastopol

• Members
  • 21 posts
  • LocationSebastopol, CA

Posted 17 March 2014 - 12:23 AM

Thanks for the tip, checked on Yelp, nothing coming up so far.

Sebastopol, CA!
2005 Toyota Corolla XRS
Stock (so far)

#10 Cody_2ZZ

Cody_2ZZ

• Members
  • 229 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 12:22 AM

A thorough clay bar, light polish, and a couple coats of high-quality synthetic sealant will help a lot, but you may never fully match the finish on your hood. As long as you don't get too aggressive with your polish, you can't really hurt anything.

Function >>> Form - forever lurking -

Posted Image

#11 onemph05

onemph05

• Members
  • 427 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 07:10 AM

http://www.thebumperzone.com/

#12 DickinSebastopol

DickinSebastopol

• Members
  • 21 posts
  • LocationSebastopol, CA

Posted 21 March 2014 - 06:08 PM

Sweet, been in contact with the bumper zone. Good thing he says he's based in Sonoma, because on his website it seems he's based out of San Mateo.

Sebastopol, CA!
2005 Toyota Corolla XRS
Stock (so far)

#13 onemph05

onemph05

• Members
  • 427 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 03:29 AM

Sweet, been in contact with the bumper zone. Good thing he says he's based in Sonoma, because on his website it seems he's based out of San Mateo.

He books clients here in the Bay Monday to Friday; then drives back home on weekends. Top notch work...

#14 DickinSebastopol

DickinSebastopol

• Members
  • 21 posts
  • LocationSebastopol, CA

Posted 23 March 2014 - 07:43 AM

I sent him pics that weren't so good, so I sent him the link to this thread and he said my bumper is a wreck, lol.....

Sebastopol, CA!
2005 Toyota Corolla XRS
Stock (so far)

#15 onemph05

onemph05

• Members
  • 427 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 08:25 AM

I sent him pics that weren't so good, so I sent him the link to this thread and he said my bumper is a wreck, lol.....

Gene repaired the rear bumper of my SSM XRS, which was scratched by someone at Costco. He probably won't remember my car since it was last summer. He's a car guy too, owns a modified truck. :)

#16 OCDetails

OCDetails

• Members
  • 402 posts
  • Location...right behind you!!
  • Vehicle(s):08 IS-F (RIP), 09 Rav4 V6 Limited, 05 Odyssey

Posted 19 September 2014 - 04:05 PM

Wow... Sorry I'm late to the thread. That bumper looks pretty bad. It is almost like it was a repaint or something and now it is just aging way faster than the rest of the car. They do a different painting process on the bumpers than they do on the rest of the car. Part of it is because they are plastic, but mostly because they tend to take more abuse. There is a flex agent in the paint that helps the paint resist damage a little better. You can bend it without cracking the paint and rocks won't take huge chunks out like when they hit your hood. Anyway, because it is a different process it is possible that some shop cut corners and did a really half assed job painting it. Even if it is totally original then I'd have to say the clear coat is done. It has separated from the paint and that is why it is cloudy and dull. You can polish it to some extent, but when clear coat fails there isn't much else you can do. Case in point, Click here for some oxidation examples. The Accord about five pictures down had a similar problem, but it was all over the car. Dull and no reflection. On the deck you can see where the clear was burning out entirely. Even after polishing it the car didn't look awesome, but it looked a hell of a lot better than it did before. At least it would reflect when I was done with it. So a heavy compound may restore some of the shine, but if the clear is dead then the clear is dead. A respray is the only thing to really 'fix' it.

Posted Image

~ ~ ~ www.OCDetails.com ~ ~ ~
Obsessive Compulsive Detailing

#17 Abrareelo

Abrareelo

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • LocationSylvan Hills

Posted 30 May 2017 - 06:20 PM

auto glym super resin polish is a great product back to back test on detailing world showed it to be still one of the best and as said a glaze product would be best some images might help ?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users