20 replies to this topic

#1 burnt_toast

burnt_toast

• Members
  • 98 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio TX
  • Vehicle(s):see sig

Posted 16 May 2013 - 11:12 PM

Last night I hit up the local dragstrip with my XRS for the first time. I've gone a few times before in previous cars (which were all autos..) and did not practice launching at all with the 6spd. Needless to say I screwed up a lot and could use some advice for next time. Going back tomorrow!

My setup is near stock '05 XRS, only "mods" are:
-Fujita Short Ram intake
-Dunlop Z2 tires 205/50-16 on Celica GTS rims up front only, stock XRS wheels and crap street tires in back

First Run:
Reaction= .697sec, 2.98sec 60', 17.05 @ 89.32mph, spun like mad thru 1st
2nd:
R= .646, 2.85sec 60', 16.75 @ 89.18mph, bog and sloppy 1st to 2nd shift
3rd:
R= .125, 2.74sec 60', 16.16 @ 89.77mph, slight bog, spun hard 1st to 2nd shift
4th:
R= .052, 2.65sec 60', 15.96 @ 90.47mph, mostly clean still spinning hard 1st to 2nd (woot 15s!)

I ran the rear tires maxed out at 50psi, and started with 36psi up front, then dropped to like 24psi by last run. Not sure if I could go lower or if it would help, what pressure would yall recommend?

My biggest problem was I'd either over-rev the start then hop and/or spin thru 1st or under-rev and bog thru 1st until lift. What would be best rpm to drop clutch at to avoid this? Like the sweet spot. I practiced at some stops on way home and found 5k rpm to be pretty good, thoughts?

I had fun and happy I was able to get into 15's, but feel she's got more! Going to import night tomorrow and want to have a fighting chance :ph34r:
'05 Corolla XRS - Lovin Lift
Fujita F5 SRI / Celica GTS rims / Dunlop Z2's

'01 Buick Regal GS - S/C sleeper
250hp/280ftlbs, all stock

#2 koleo

koleo

• Members
  • 781 posts
  • LocationCen-Cal
  • Vehicle(s):05 XRS

Posted 16 May 2013 - 11:47 PM

i think at the track, dropping the clutch will not give you the best time in my opinion. When I was there dropping the clutch gave me times in the 16's. I launched at 4500. I had trd cai, greddy evo 2, and 17s, best i got was 15.5. check out my video in the track/street section of 1/4 times
Mods: Injen CAI, Matrix ECU, Greddy SP2 axleback, ESP motor insert, megan racing SS, shift linkage brass bushing, h&r springs, UR 4 point strut bar, Alutec rear strut bar, progress rear sway bar, drag dr-9, 04-05 sti lip, lexus rear lip, 2zz coil cover, vuteq grill

#3 dmsyr

dmsyr

Assy McGee

• Moderators
  • 3,316 posts
  • LocationAlbuquerque, NM
  • Vehicle(s):That slammed 3p1 XRS
    04 Saturn Vue (RIP 10-30-2015)
    2013 Chevy Equinox

Posted 16 May 2013 - 11:52 PM

I've seen good launches when the driver doesn't really hold rpm, but right, right before the light goes green floors it and gradually releases the clutch. It'll burn the s*** out of your clutch but yeah...

Woot for 15's :) I wanna track mine

Injen,Redliner9k PPE header,2.5 custom exhaust,ES MM Inserts, Ksport coilovers,TRD quickshifter,custom painted carbon fiber hood,headlight projector retrofit,6000k lows,4300k fogs,Altis grille,Altis 2nd gens,Altis roof spoiler,PR LIP,VG Sharkfin antenna,Altis duckbill spoiler,ESAM visors,Ultra Racing 4 pt. strut bar,Aodhan AH05 wheels
'03 Matrix XRS ECU-LIFTing at 6200

scoottuned reflash - LIFTing at 5500

BOLTED AND SLAMMED

#4 JBCeliRolla

JBCeliRolla

El Problematico

• Moderators
  • 2,150 posts
  • LocationPuerto Rico
  • Vehicle(s):2006 Corolla CE AUTO
    1975 Jeep CJ5

Posted 17 May 2013 - 01:32 AM

what traction level are those tires? u can get them to 17psi without issues. slip a little the clutch when getting off the line. take useless junk u have inside the car. with a little practice, you can go lower than that.

another thing... when u go to the dragstrip, disconnect the muffler and with those little things I said, you should be at low 15s... Here, people have even touched 14 seconds with intake/no muffler/good tires and weight reduction. Best of luck man!

From Los Tecatos de la Velocidad Crew

Posted Image

Just a lil' boost

#5 Caniac14

Caniac14

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 08:29 AM

Take out the spare. Even take out the back seat and passenger seat. Both are held on by just a few bolts.

Disconnect the muffler as JB said, or even get one of those electronic mufflers put in. I can't remember the real name but you can have it put anywhere in the exhaust system, most do pre-cat. You control it with a remote. When open, it closes the regular loop and exits out wherever you had it install creating less flow restriction, hence why most people put it pre-cat. It's loud as fk though.

That should get you into very low 15 and high 14 territory.
Plus you get practice at taking your car apart. It may seem like a hassle but if you want the times, it will be worth it.
My bud can take his passenger seat and back seat out in less than 10 min.
318 whp 04 Matrix Xr

#6 burnt_toast

burnt_toast

• Members
  • 98 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio TX

Posted 17 May 2013 - 10:25 AM

Funny you guys mention the muffler delete. Yes I do plan on doing that actually, was going to do it that same night too, but they closed the strip early right as I was about to do it.

I did remove all the extra spares weight and jack, but if time permits next time I'll see about removing seats. Sounds like a good idea for more easy weight reduction. Definitely will try removing axleback tho. Was wayy too quite with just intake, I need some NOISE to keep up with them imports!!! Jk.. but I do want it louder haha :P

Good to know on the tires, they're 200threadwear rating. I'll bump down pressure for sure then if it helps grip.

OH one thing I forgot to ask! Each run I avoided the water box and doing burnout since they're still street tires. Plus I just thought it might be too hard on the car to attempt a burnout. What do you guys think about trying that? Is it worth it for more grip or pointless since I don't have actual slicks?

#7 kpace

kpace

• Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 12:04 PM

you should have run the tires low, also you wont get much faster tires without going full drag slicks than the Z2's

but from my understanding it's 7k rpm drops to launch.... your car wont like you, but the times will

#8 JBCeliRolla

JBCeliRolla

El Problematico

• Moderators
  • 2,150 posts
  • LocationPuerto Rico
    1975 Jeep CJ5

Posted 17 May 2013 - 04:09 PM

Good to know on the tires, they're 200threadwear rating. I'll bump down pressure for sure then if it helps grip.

OH one thing I forgot to ask! Each run I avoided the water box and doing burnout since they're still street tires. Plus I just thought it might be too hard on the car to attempt a burnout. What do you guys think about trying that? Is it worth it for more grip or pointless since I don't have actual slicks?

yes, do the burnout... with a nice, 4-6 second burnout, u should get the tires heated up... with our climate here, i had to because the tires wouldnt grip well without the burnout.

Posted Image

Just a lil' boost

#9 kpace

kpace

• Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 05:18 PM

the Z2 is an autocross tire, it doesnt need heat...in fact extra heat would do it worse

#10 FinalGear

FinalGear

Guru

• Members
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 07:47 PM

Disconnect the muffler as JB said, or even get one of those electronic mufflers put in. I can't remember the real name but you can have it put anywhere in the exhaust system, most do pre-cat. You control it with a remote. When open, it closes the regular loop and exits out wherever you had it install creating less flow restriction, hence why most people put it pre-cat. It's loud as fk though.

QTP ;)
http://www.quicktimeperformance.com/

#11 Caniac14

Caniac14

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 04:59 AM

^Thanks for that man. I have been looking for them for quite a while.

$232 isn't that bad to have full control of how loud or quite your car is. And I know, putting this pre cat or pre resonator, you car will F**KING SCREAM!!!!!
I had a full custom 2.5" exhaust built without resonator or muffler (had to keep the cat for emissions). I loved the sound, but it was unbearable for every day driving.
So I had a resonator put on.
318 whp 04 Matrix Xr

#12 JBCeliRolla

JBCeliRolla

El Problematico

• Moderators
  • 2,150 posts
  • LocationPuerto Rico
    1975 Jeep CJ5

Posted 18 May 2013 - 05:10 PM

if u put the cut-out precat, u will lose top end power... i suggest after the resonator just before the exhaust bends to the passenger side.

Posted Image

Just a lil' boost

#13 delvallexrs

delvallexrs

gifted xrs

• Members
  • 739 posts
  • LocationHOUSTON,T.X.
  • Vehicle(s):2006 COROLLA XRS,08 lancer gts <<<< trade in for 2013 rolla s(wife ride)

Posted 21 May 2013 - 10:06 PM

i launch my xrs at 5k when im in the track and so far it has work fine for me i havent race in the 1/4 mile yet but 1/8 i got 9.45 @ 76 mph ,also im running 15" prius wheels with b/f goodrich drag radials 225/55-15 and im running 18 psi on them

#14 burnt_toast

burnt_toast

• Members
  • 98 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio TX

Posted 24 May 2013 - 04:08 AM

So just a heads up, I ended up working late last Friday. Was too tired to go race in XRS, dam launching takes a good bit of concentration and finesse. BUT wanted to meet up a few friends at the strip so took my Buick instead! (see sig) Drag-racing in luxury as my friend joked haha. It's auto and was way easier to launch.

In the Buick:
My baseline 1st run was 15.45sec @89mph with decent hookup. Setup tires and removed spare and followed it up by my best time of the night on 2nd run: 15.35sec @90mph. (both runs with passenger) I think it's supposed to hit high 14's from factory, but being bone stock, aged, and running crap worn out tires, I was pretty happy with the results.

Got some other friends that want to go track again tomorrow, so I'll give it another go with the XRS. Just removed axle-back muffler last night and it sounds saweet! Just like if it had aftermarket exhaust actually, totally digging the new sound, and hopefully it helps some too.

#15 Caniac14

Caniac14

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 04:32 AM

I love the sound too. The car sounds even better with no muffler AND no resonator. It is however unbearably loud for every day use.
And IMO in regards to the muffler delete, there really isn't much difference in sound, if any at all. The only thing you will notice during regular driving is that an aftermarket exhaust doesn't drone much, whereas the stock exhaust with a muffler delete will drone some while cruising.
318 whp 04 Matrix Xr

#16 JBCeliRolla

JBCeliRolla

El Problematico

• Moderators
  • 2,150 posts
  • LocationPuerto Rico
    1975 Jeep CJ5

Posted 24 May 2013 - 04:53 AM

So just a heads up, I ended up working late last Friday. Was too tired to go race in XRS, dam launching takes a good bit of concentration and finesse. BUT wanted to meet up a few friends at the strip so took my Buick instead! (see sig) Drag-racing in luxury as my friend joked haha. It's auto and was way easier to launch.

In the Buick:
My baseline 1st run was 15.45sec @89mph with decent hookup. Setup tires and removed spare and followed it up by my best time of the night on 2nd run: 15.35sec @90mph. (both runs with passenger) I think it's supposed to hit high 14's from factory, but being bone stock, aged, and running crap worn out tires, I was pretty happy with the results.

Got some other friends that want to go track again tomorrow, so I'll give it another go with the XRS. Just removed axle-back muffler last night and it sounds saweet! Just like if it had aftermarket exhaust actually, totally digging the new sound, and hopefully it helps some too.

looks u had some fun haha... good luck tomorrow with the Xrs!!

Posted Image

Just a lil' boost

#17 burnt_toast

burnt_toast

• Members
  • 98 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio TX

Posted 28 May 2013 - 04:41 AM

totally got rained out here in TX over weekend, some major flooding everywhere so no dragstrip got postponed. maybe wed or fri this week

Canian14,
totally agree about being too loud for daily use and hwy drone. definitely takes away some from the sleeper factor of a stock XRS.. I'm thinking of making a custom axleback with a Borla muffler, I think it should sound pretty deep but like you said less drone on hwy which would be perfect.

#18 burnt_toast

burnt_toast

• Members
  • 98 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio TX

Posted 23 July 2013 - 10:34 PM

if u put the cut-out precat, u will lose top end power... i suggest after the resonator just before the exhaust bends to the passenger side.

trompy1zz,
could you explain why you would lose top end power if ecutout goes pre-cat? I'm assuming bc O2 sensor? Also why do you suggest after resonator? (Just noise, or performance reasons?)

I'm actually really thinking of getting one of these and plan on putting after cat, but just before resonator. But just wondering about the above. thx

#19 Cody_2ZZ

Cody_2ZZ

• Members
  • 229 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 02:32 AM

I'm pretty much a noob when it comes to drag racing since I have most of my fun in the canyons, but wouldn't moving to a smaller wheel/tire help decrease your times as well. Like a 15" wheel with 45s? Smaller overall size should equal more rotations for the same amount of force applied.

Function >>> Form - forever lurking -

Posted Image

#20 JBCeliRolla

JBCeliRolla

El Problematico

• Moderators
  • 2,150 posts
  • LocationPuerto Rico
    1975 Jeep CJ5

Posted 24 July 2013 - 07:24 PM

The thing is backpressure. If u put a throttle just after the exhaust manifold, it's like having a infinity diameter exhaust on the car... The car will run like a 1zz hahaha...

Cody: with smaller wheels, u can accelerate faster, but will lose a little top end and vice-versa.

Posted Image

Just a lil' boost

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users