• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 mtymseharmer

mtymseharmer

• Members
  • 174 posts
  • LocationTopeka, KS

Posted 02 February 2013 - 02:36 PM

Last year I did quite a bit to my Corolla to get it competitive in SCCA Solo Street Touring FWD class. The end results put me 1 spot out of the trophies at SCCA Solo Nationals. This year I have my eyes set on coming home with some hardware in ProSolo and at Nationals. That means I need to continue to develop the car to be faster and competitive. Here is what my setup will be at the start of the season:

Engine:
PPE ceramic coated header
PPE mid pipe with high flow cat (no resonator)
Burns Stainless muffler
Camcon CC-101 tuned the VVT-i
Injen CAI wrapped in gold foil
Energy Suspension Motor Mount inserts
Braille 6 lb battery

Suspension:
Koni 8611 Double Adjustable inserts up front in custom strut housings (valved to handle high spring rates)
Ground Control threaded sleeves
Swift Springs 14 kg/mm (784 lb/in) springs up front
Front sway bar removed
Crash bolts in all strut mounting locations to give the car -2.75 degrees negative camber
Energy Suspension Polyurathane Control Arm Bushings
1/8" total toe out in front
Hotchkis rear sway bar
KW coilovers shocks and threaded collars
Swift Springs 7 kg/mm (392 lb/in) springs in the rear
Energy Suspension Polyurathane Axle Bushings

Wheels/Tires:
Dry
SSR Type C 15X7.5" Wheels (9.6 lbs each)
BF Goodrich G-Force Rival Tires in 225/45/15
Wet
Stock Celica GTS Wheels
Continental Extreme Contact DW in 205/50/16

Interior:
Corbeau Forza fixed back seat with mounting bracket
Schroth 3 point harness
TRD short shifter

Exterior:
Factory Fog lights removed (replaced with factory covers)

At Nationals last year the car weighed 2346lbs. With the lighter drivers seat and the lighter exhaust setup I should be right around 2300lbs.

I am looking into camber plates for the front that would allow me to get the camber to somewhere in the low 3 degree range along with possibly giving me a little bit more caster. The rear spring setup might change. Once I get into the season if I determine I need a little bit more or a little bit less spring I will change it. The tire pressure's I have no idea of where they will end up. Last year on the Hankook's I ran 35psi up front and 38psi in the rear. That is going to be my starting point but my first time in the car will be at an all day test n tune so I will be all over the place with tire pressures to find the best setup. Below are a couple of pictures of some of the new parts:

Corbeau seat. You can't tell in the picture but the bracket is over engineered so I ended up "swiss cheesing" it to save some weight. This doesn't weaken the part but it did get a couple of pounds off of the bracket. The seat with bracket comes in at 32 pounds. The class has a minimum weight of 25lbs for the seats so I am about 6 pounds heavier than I would like but I will just drive 6 pounds faster.
Posted Image

Burns Stainless muffler. It is 2.25" piping just like the PPE mid pipe is. 17" long total and only weighs 3.3 lbs. This muffler is more money than a typical muffler but it is rebuildable so in the long run this is a better buy for a race type muffler. Last year I had a flange put in the exhaust system right after the car knowing I would get this muffler. Now once my exhaust guy has time he will weld a flange to about 4-6" or straight pipe and then weld the muffler to it. Add a hanger and a movable turn down on it. The exhaust will be exiting about where the back seat edge is. The rules have a 100 dB @ 50 feet limit. This setup should put the car at about 92-95 dB. The movable turn down will help direct the exhaust sound away from the sound meter.
Posted Image

Really looking forward to the year starting. I am confident that this year will be a good year for me and the Corolla. Like last year I will post updates to any car changes and posting videos from each event.
SCCA Rally/Solo Competition Manager

#2 JBCeliRolla

JBCeliRolla

El Problematico

• Moderators
  • 2,150 posts
  • LocationPuerto Rico
  • Vehicle(s):2006 Corolla CE AUTO
    1975 Jeep CJ5

Posted 02 February 2013 - 07:07 PM

Loving the Burns Stainless!!!!!! Post a vid of the car when you can!!! Best of luck man!!

From Los Tecatos de la Velocidad Crew

Posted Image

Just a lil' boost

#3 asia minor

asia minor

• Members
  • 42 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco, California

Posted 02 February 2013 - 09:59 PM

well done man, well done.

#4 burnt_toast

burnt_toast

• Members
  • 98 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio TX
  • Vehicle(s):see sig

Posted 06 February 2013 - 06:27 PM

Great looking setup! Best of luck to you for this season!

What kind of cars are you competing against in STF, can it be pretty much any fwd car? And do you ever see any other Corollas competing alongside you? J/w

Really surprised to see the front sway removed, is that to help with diving into the corners?
'05 Corolla XRS - Lovin Lift
Fujita F5 SRI / Celica GTS rims / Dunlop Z2's

'01 Buick Regal GS - S/C sleeper
250hp/280ftlbs, all stock

#5 mtymseharmer

mtymseharmer

• Members
  • 174 posts
  • LocationTopeka, KS

Posted 06 February 2013 - 07:30 PM

Great looking setup! Best of luck to you for this season!

What kind of cars are you competing against in STF, can it be pretty much any fwd car? And do you ever see any other Corollas competing alongside you? J/w

Really surprised to see the front sway removed, is that to help with diving into the corners?

Not all FWD cars car run in STF. Cars have to be specifically listed to run in the class. The main cars I see at National events are Mazda 2, base Mini, Toyota Yaris, Mazda 3. There are other cars allowed that have some potential like the Acura RSX, Scion TC, Ford Focus SVT. A lot of top competitive FWD cars run with either a smaller front bar or no front bar. Especially in my class and a couple of other Street Touring classes where you aren't allowed a limited slip. Having hte front bar on there causes the inside front side to spin on corner exit and removing it helps with that. It also helps with turn in on the car well as removes weight. Of course doing this causes me to up the spring rates but I can live with that.

#6 burnt_toast

burnt_toast

• Members
  • 98 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio TX

Posted 07 February 2013 - 01:39 AM

Interesting and makes sense. Sounds like a very fun class

#7 burnt_toast

burnt_toast

• Members
  • 98 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio TX

Posted 09 March 2013 - 05:55 PM

How's this season panning out? Any races yet?

#8 mtymseharmer

mtymseharmer

• Members
  • 174 posts
  • LocationTopeka, KS

Posted 09 March 2013 - 09:09 PM

How's this season panning out? Any races yet?

no races yet. My first event is on March 24th. A regional event. Don't have my BFG's yet so will be on my Hankooks from last year.

#9 Kurai

Kurai

• Members
  • 327 posts
  • LocationSavannah / HAAF, GA, Earth, Terran Sector, Milky Way Galaxy
  • Vehicle(s):2003 Toyota Corolla S
    (408.6whp, 359.8 ft-tq)

1973 Datsun 240Z
    (Project Supra Z)

Posted 24 May 2014 - 11:33 PM

Do you adjust you setup back after each event or do you use this setup on the street as well?

Posted Image

RACELINE PERFORMANCE MOTORSPORTS

#10 Josh.Chaos

Josh.Chaos

• Members
  • 857 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 11:56 PM

People always say I'm crazy when I tell them my car handles better without my front strut bar... Anyway, what are you running in the back alignment wise?

Sent from my HTCPO881 Sprint using Tapatalk
Posted Image

#11 Kurai

Kurai

• Members
  • 327 posts
    (408.6whp, 359.8 ft-tq)

1973 Datsun 240Z
    (Project Supra Z)

Posted 26 May 2014 - 02:01 AM

So am looking to get more turn in out of my Corolla and keep hearing people reference removing the front sway...but usually just the autox guys...what kind of effect would this have on a road course?

Posted Image

#12 Josh.Chaos

Josh.Chaos

• Members
  • 857 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 03:04 AM

^not sure about a road course, but I find that with the trd bar removed I have less understeer. I keep my struts on full stiff up front, and my rears a few clicks lower. The bar seems to make the car more stable on higher speed turns, but on sub 40mph corners the front seems lighter and the back comes around quicker without it. Just my observations from behind the wheel. I'm also a member of the grassrootsmotorsports forum, so I get a lot of my tech and setup tips from there.

Sent from my HTCPO881 Sprint using Tapatalk
Posted Image

#13 Kurai

Kurai

• Members
  • 327 posts
    (408.6whp, 359.8 ft-tq)

1973 Datsun 240Z
    (Project Supra Z)

Posted 26 May 2014 - 03:23 AM

Yeah im trying to get more turn in but will be for more high speed cornering...I just added the Ultra racing "second" roll bar in the rear and have not got to test in out well yet (out of state atm) but will see how that helps...I got a couple other tricks up my sleev i can try before pulling the bar out.

Posted Image

#14 mtymseharmer

mtymseharmer

• Members
  • 174 posts
  • LocationTopeka, KS

Posted 28 May 2014 - 07:32 PM

I have done a few track days with the cars setup and I have no issue with oversteer. I change the shock settings a little bit and lower the rear tire pressure a bit. A lot of the full road racing guys that run FWD remove their front bar just like AutoX.

#15 Josh.Chaos

Josh.Chaos

• Members
  • 857 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 08:49 PM

Yeah im trying to get more turn in but will be for more high speed cornering...I just added the Ultra racing "second" roll bar in the rear and have not got to test in out well yet (out of state atm) but will see how that helps...I got a couple other tricks up my sleev i can try before pulling the bar out.

I just realized we were talking about two completely different things, I was commenting on the lack of a front strut tower bar and how running one causes more understeer, didn't realize you were talking about the front lower sway bar... with that, I would not attampt to drive aggressively at all above 60mph... I removed mine for a week while I fabbed up some endlinks to keep it from buckling and grinding against stuff and the front end floated around like an 80's cadillac at highway speeds... In autoX, well in the lil bit I did, I never really went over 50mph, and most of the courses I could only hit 40, so high speed stability is not an issue at all.
Posted Image

#16 Cody_2ZZ

Cody_2ZZ

• Members
  • 229 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 09:37 PM

Wow, I'm surprised I didn't see this thread earlier. Looks like an awesome setup. I'm surprised you were able to pull all that weight out of the car. Was it mostly in the seats and exhaust? I would think you'd have to pull out all your interior to get out that much weight.

Function >>> Form - forever lurking -

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users