7 replies to this topic

#1 ncc74656m

ncc74656m

• Members
  • 597 posts
  • LocationNYC
  • Vehicle(s):Impulse Red 2006 Corolla LE

Posted 24 October 2012 - 06:50 PM

So, I'd like to try to get a steering wheel with audio controls built in, and since no comparable model Corolla offered one that I've been able to find, I did some looking. The '06 Camry had it available, and what's more, they use the same airbag ECU, meaning that it *should* be compatible (more or less).

I know I'll need to work out my own wiring for the audio controls, and I have no idea if the airbag will plug in directly, as well as the connection for the cruise control stalk, but it would make sense that it might well work. I just wonder if anyone has any insight into anything I might not be considering here, as a steering wheel with a stock Toyota airbag is almost $300. Big gamble to make without any better comparisons.
Corolla9's only transwoman with a five speed transmission.

"Remember all the movies, Terry, we'd go see, tryin' to learn how to walk like the heroes we thought we had to be, when after all this time to find we're just like all the rest..." - Bruce Springsteen - Backstreets

2006 Impulse Red Corolla LE

#2 hughesjasonk

hughesjasonk

The Bad Guy!

• Administrators
  • 4,248 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 01:48 AM

the cruise control is the same. as far as the airbag the camery is SRS too so if the connector is different you just have to repin it.
Silence is golden.... But duck tape is silver.......

MOD LIST

#3 ncc74656m

ncc74656m

• Members
  • 597 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 25 October 2012 - 02:03 AM

the cruise control is the same. as far as the airbag the camery is SRS too so if the connector is different you just have to repin it.

Awesome, thanks! I'll look into the options then, so if I can, the audio controls will be a cinch then. :D

"Remember all the movies, Terry, we'd go see, tryin' to learn how to walk like the heroes we thought we had to be, when after all this time to find we're just like all the rest..." - Bruce Springsteen - Backstreets

#4 Josh.Chaos

Josh.Chaos

• Members
  • 857 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 02:52 PM

look on ebay... They make 3m tape-on audio controls that stick to the back of your steering wheel. I'll look for it real quick. I bought some a couple yrs ago for my elantra...

http://www.crutchfie...crv=15118967185

http://www.ebay.com/...=item1c2b17358e
Posted Image

#5 InfuzeYou

InfuzeYou

• Members
  • 626 posts
  • LocationStuttgart, Germany
  • Vehicle(s):04 Corolla S

Posted 25 October 2012 - 03:01 PM

look on ebay... They make 3m tape-on audio controls that stick to the back of your steering wheel. I'll look for it real quick. I bought some a couple yrs ago for my elantra...

http://www.crutchfie...crv=15118967185

http://www.ebay.com/...=item1c2b17358e

Looked at those when I bought my head unit, out of all the reviews, most of them say something like, "...doesnt work anywhere on the steering wheel... You need a direct line of sight for it to work."

Plus, if your 'rolla is anything like mine, the leather or plastic on the steering wheel is starting to get worn anyways, and you're looking for replacement options.
Performance Mods: K&N Typhoon SRI, Megan Racing coilovers, DC Sports strut bar, Alutec lightweight crank pulley, R1 Concepts cross-drilled/slotted rotors, Hawk HPS pads, NRG voltage stabilizer/grounding kit, Optima Red Top battery

Other Mods: Chrome w/black mesh grille, H9 chrome projector headlights, 5000K 35W HIDs, 2nd gen Altis LED tails, AVS window visors, stubby antenna, Tc armrest, R├Ązo quick-shift knob, Enkei Super 7 18" wheels, Avital remote start w/ trunk pop & lock/unlock, LED Swap: every single bulb replaced w/ LEDs (interior & exterior), plus engine bay LEDs and under-dash LED bars

Coming soon: JP header, Vibrant axle-back exhaust, high-flow catalytic converter, Weapon-R oil catch can, TRD CAI

#6 Josh.Chaos

Josh.Chaos

• Members
  • 857 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 03:06 PM

^oh I know, I actually had one that hardwired to my hu, I cant find it right now, but it was a stick on volume control for the right side and a stick on track skip/radio tuner on the left... They had wires on them...
Posted Image

#7 ncc74656m

ncc74656m

• Members
  • 597 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 25 October 2012 - 04:01 PM

Thanks guys, I didn't realize there were real third party options. I'll look into the choices just to see what my options are, but I still think the OEM look is well worth it. :)

#8 Bentjudges

Bentjudges

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 11:57 AM

Can you fellas post pictures of your after market steering wheels so I can get some ideas thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users