* * * - - 1 votes

DIY Disable Automatic Headlights (Twilight Sensor)

9 replies to this topic

#1 ifizzy142

• Members
  • 14 posts
  • LocationSanta Ana
  • Vehicle(s):2005 Corolla S

Posted 05 July 2012 - 06:22 PM

Derived from VibeOwner & His tutorial on disabling auto-lights for his 2004 Pontiac Vibe (http://vibeowner.hom...net/~vibeowner/)

Reasons for automatic headlight disable; You think it's stupid that your headlights must go on every time you are in a parking structure; You find that even when you drive during he daytime, your sensor is finicky and likes to turn the headlights on and dim all your controls; You want more control over your vehicles lighting.

This is a DIY for disabling the auto-light feature by cutting connections at the DRL Relay. But VibeOwner has stated that "Automatic headlights were designed as a USA-only feature, so you can disable it by simply unplugging the sensor" located at the back right of your dash. I personally don't know how to go about that however. Just be aware that this is another option if you don't want to go snipping around your DRL relay.

Posted Image

Wait, why the DRL Relay, these are for my headlights? "The inappropriately-named daytime running light relay doesn’t contain a relay, and it meddles with much more than just DRL. High beams, low beams, tail lights, fog lights, alternator, and hand brake all connect to the DRL relay. Can’t turn on your fog lights without the headlights on? Thank the DRL relay."

Step 1: Like with anything involving circutry... TURN OFF YOUR BATTERY!

Step 2: Locate your DRL relay. It will be under your steering wheel to the right of the steering column. Don't forget to lift your steering wheel all the way, and push the drivers seat the the back, as you will need to fit yourself under the wheel and upside down.

Posted Image

Step 3: The DRL Relay is attached by a single 10mm bolt. Be sure to remove the white 20 connection pin at some point. I identifiy the Relay by the 2 notches shown below.

Posted Image

Step 4: You now have the DLR Relay. Pry off the faceplate that is flush with the connection pin site. The face is held on by 4 clips.

Posted Image

Step 5: As you can see this is a 20 pin connector, with 1 & 2 beings the larger connections the the right hand side. The upper left row runs 3-11 right to left, and the row below it 12-20. Cut 19 & 20's legs so that they don't touch on anything else. If you're like me and can never find wire cutters when I actually need them, you can just use some semi-strong scissors, and place the board in a plastic baggy so when you cut, the legs don't fly off somewhere.

Posted Image

Step 6: Reassemble the DRL Relay, and pop it back in your vehicle! Don't forget attach the pin connections and replug your battery! Just incase you forgot where it goes, here is a picture.

Posted Image

#2 USAF

• Members
  • 97 posts
  • Locationwarner robins ga
  • Vehicle(s):05 toyota corolla ce

Posted 24 July 2012 - 09:30 PM

Or you could just cut pin 12 on the harness and your done but good write up man

#3 sedanxrs

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 01:11 AM

I cut 19 and 20 and it didn't work. Went back to cut #12 and it worked. I hope 19 and 20 isn't important. lol

#4 Jyn

• Members
  • 271 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 11:39 PM

Yeah... I just cut a wire and taped it back in 2007 and it's been good ever since. That's way too much work for me lol.
Posted Image

#5 Altis

• Members
  • 156 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 07:18 AM

hey guys how do u cut the wire? any pics? i hate the freaking lights coming on specially at day.
07 Altis | Injen CAI | TRD Race Exhaust | D/C Ceramic Race Headers | NGK Iridiums | Sprint Booster | K&N Performance Oil Filter | Royal Purple Oil | Weight Reduction | TR Front Lip | KAM Side Skirts | JDM Retrofits With Eyelids | JDM Blacked Grille | JDM LED Smoked Taillights | Megan Racing Coilovers | H&R Wheel Spacers 0.5 Front, 1.5 Rear | Plasti Dipped | Rear Seats Delete | Stock OE "S" 15 Rims With 195 Tires FRONT | Matrix XRS 17 Wheels With Low Profiles REAR | Crower Stage 1 Cams | MWR Light Weight Underdrive Pulley | TRD 160F Thermostat | Metal Underbody Delete | Custom Head Gasket | Custom Throttle Body Spacer | D2 Coilovers | Home Depot Rear Lip | Aftermarket Altis Roof Spoiler | Vuteq Type B Front & Rear Lip | Genuine Aftermarket & Toyota Parts.

#6 EdBoy

• Members
  • 441 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 11 January 2013 - 03:38 AM

View PostAltis, on 09 January 2013 - 07:18 AM, said:

hey guys how do u cut the wire? any pics? i hate the freaking lights coming on specially at day.

easy take a scissor or a knife and cut *snip snip* the wire

easier to cut pin 19 for you us 05-08 corollas out there, do not know the wires for other years and corollas in other countries

#7 Altis

• Members
  • 156 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 09:17 AM

View PostEdBoy, on 11 January 2013 - 03:38 AM, said:

easy take a scissor or a knife and cut *snip snip* the wire

easier to cut pin 19 for you us 05-08 corollas out there, do not know the wires for other years and corollas in other countries

what wires? there are so many. Dont wanna make a mistake ill regret
07 Altis | Injen CAI | TRD Race Exhaust | D/C Ceramic Race Headers | NGK Iridiums | Sprint Booster | K&N Performance Oil Filter | Royal Purple Oil | Weight Reduction | TR Front Lip | KAM Side Skirts | JDM Retrofits With Eyelids | JDM Blacked Grille | JDM LED Smoked Taillights | Megan Racing Coilovers | H&R Wheel Spacers 0.5 Front, 1.5 Rear | Plasti Dipped | Rear Seats Delete | Stock OE "S" 15 Rims With 195 Tires FRONT | Matrix XRS 17 Wheels With Low Profiles REAR | Crower Stage 1 Cams | MWR Light Weight Underdrive Pulley | TRD 160F Thermostat | Metal Underbody Delete | Custom Head Gasket | Custom Throttle Body Spacer | D2 Coilovers | Home Depot Rear Lip | Aftermarket Altis Roof Spoiler | Vuteq Type B Front & Rear Lip | Genuine Aftermarket & Toyota Parts.

#8 EdBoy

• Members
  • 441 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 19 January 2013 - 09:22 AM

View PostAltis, on 19 January 2013 - 09:17 AM, said:

what wires? there are so many. Dont wanna make a mistake ill regret

i just said, pin 19, its a red/white wire, get a pic of the wires underneath and ill circle which one with an edited pic

#9 Altis

• Members
  • 156 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 10:48 AM

View PostEdBoy, on 19 January 2013 - 09:22 AM, said:

i just said, pin 19, its a red/white wire, get a pic of the wires underneath and ill circle which one with an edited pic
ok ill do it in the afternoon, its 5 am now, gotta sleep first. thanks

#10 Chris D.

• Members
  • 336 posts
  • LocationEagan, Minnesota
  • Vehicle(s):08 Corolla S
    02 Tacoma

Posted 08 March 2013 - 09:54 PM

View PostAltis, on 19 January 2013 - 10:48 AM, said:

ok ill do it in the afternoon, its 5 am now, gotta sleep first. thanks

Guys been sleepin for a Looooooong time! ;)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users