14 replies to this topic

#1 OCDetails

OCDetails

• Members
  • 402 posts
  • Location...right behind you!!
  • Vehicle(s):08 IS-F (RIP), 09 Rav4 V6 Limited, 05 Odyssey

Posted 17 April 2012 - 04:48 PM

Just curious which product you prefer on your glass. It is raining buckets today, so I applied some fresh RainX to the glass before heading out of the garage. It makes it so much easier to see on the freeway when there is spray coming from every direction and it is pouring rain. Wipers actually just get in the way, so I leave them off. Aquapel used to be a lot harder to come by, so there are probably more RainX users out there than Aquapel, but their product seems to last longer by all accounts.

If not one of these products, what else do you use on your glass to make the water zip off in a rain storm?

Posted Image

~ ~ ~ www.OCDetails.com ~ ~ ~
Obsessive Compulsive Detailing

#2 dmsyr

dmsyr

Assy McGee

• Moderators
  • 3,316 posts
  • LocationAlbuquerque, NM
  • Vehicle(s):That slammed 3p1 XRS
    04 Saturn Vue (RIP 10-30-2015)
    2013 Chevy Equinox

Posted 17 April 2012 - 06:36 PM

The soap I use to wash my car is soap/wax in 1. That seems to help the rain bead off the windshield :l I've never used RainX or Aquapel...

Injen,Redliner9k PPE header,2.5 custom exhaust,ES MM Inserts, Ksport coilovers,TRD quickshifter,custom painted carbon fiber hood,headlight projector retrofit,6000k lows,4300k fogs,Altis grille,Altis 2nd gens,Altis roof spoiler,PR LIP,VG Sharkfin antenna,Altis duckbill spoiler,ESAM visors,Ultra Racing 4 pt. strut bar,Aodhan AH05 wheels
'03 Matrix XRS ECU-LIFTing at 6200

scoottuned reflash - LIFTing at 5500

BOLTED AND SLAMMED

#3 OCDetails

OCDetails

• Members
  • 402 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 07:21 PM

I've talked to a lot of people who use car wax on their windshields. Here's the problem with that... For one the windshield is glass and not paint, so waxes and sealants will not bond the same way. This causes durability problems and build up in certain areas which can lead to wipers skipping and chattering on the glass. Also, waxes and sealants are designed to refract light through specially engineered molecules in modern sealants or oils and carnauba in waxes. I'm not sure I want anything designed to interfere with optics on my windshield.

Products like RainX and Aquapel, on the other hand, are designed for glass. They are engineered to withstand wipers rubbing it off or from interfering with the optical clarity of your glass. When it comes to safety, I definitely think the best product for the job is a product meant for the job. ;) That is why I recommend against waxing your glass with paint products. There are several other products which achieve the same results (meaning the beading of water when it rains) but will last far longer and cause fewer problems with the wipers (and be safer) in the long run. Give RainX or Aquapel a shot and you'll be blown away by the difference between that and the wax in your car wash.

On the topic of soap/wax products, there isn't enough wax in an car soap "with wax" type product to really worry about. That is mostly said for marketing purposes and the level of wax in the product is so minimal that you would barely even notice it was there. That kind of wax will vaporize in a matter of days and is only meant to make the car look good on the day it is washed. It is a marketing gimmick and nothing more. But people are always looking for an 'all in one' product to avoid needing to feel their gritty paint or deal with the prep work of a proper wax, so companies make this stuff. It really doesn't offer any real level of UV (or any other kind of) protection that I would rely on to keep my paint from fading. Look at wax as sunscreen for your paint. Would you trust a sunscreen that you just added to your bath water and then expect it to protect you for any amount of time? The exact same thing holds true for wax added to your car wash.

Posted Image

#4 EricTMah

EricTMah

• Moderators
  • 641 posts
  • Vehicle(s):05 Corolla XRS - Sleeping
    16 Kia Soul

Posted 17 April 2012 - 08:32 PM

RainX for me.

I usually apply it every time I clean the car. You're absolutely right, it doesn't last very long. That's why I usually use it every time I clean the car.
Posted Image

#5 onemph05

onemph05

• Members
  • 427 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 08:50 PM

I use stoners glass cleaner with water repellent.

#6 OCDetails

OCDetails

• Members
  • 402 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 09:04 PM

I didn't know Stoner's made something like that. I use Invisible Glass, but I usually just order it by the case from Stoner's directly. I haven't really looked at what is on the shelf lately I guess. How does it work? Does it last very long?

Posted Image

#7 dmsyr

dmsyr

Assy McGee

• Moderators
  • 3,316 posts
  • LocationAlbuquerque, NM
  • Vehicle(s):That slammed 3p1 XRS
    04 Saturn Vue (RIP 10-30-2015)
    2013 Chevy Equinox

Posted 17 April 2012 - 11:52 PM

Yeah I really need to wax my car the proper way. I've been looking at your detailing guides closely

Injen,Redliner9k PPE header,2.5 custom exhaust,ES MM Inserts, Ksport coilovers,TRD quickshifter,custom painted carbon fiber hood,headlight projector retrofit,6000k lows,4300k fogs,Altis grille,Altis 2nd gens,Altis roof spoiler,PR LIP,VG Sharkfin antenna,Altis duckbill spoiler,ESAM visors,Ultra Racing 4 pt. strut bar,Aodhan AH05 wheels
'03 Matrix XRS ECU-LIFTing at 6200

scoottuned reflash - LIFTing at 5500

BOLTED AND SLAMMED

#8 onemph05

onemph05

• Members
  • 427 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 03:06 AM

I didn't know Stoner's made something like that. I use Invisible Glass, but I usually just order it by the case from Stoner's directly. I haven't really looked at what is on the shelf lately I guess. How does it work? Does it last very long?

The label is a purple color for the one with water repellent. I rarely use my car and can't gauge how long it works.

#9 hughesjasonk

hughesjasonk

The Bad Guy!

• Administrators
  • 4,248 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 02:43 PM

i'm def an aquapel user. i have to get it on ebay though because it's pretty hard to come by these days
Silence is golden.... But duck tape is silver.......

MOD LIST

#10 OCDetails

OCDetails

• Members
  • 402 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 03:34 PM

Aquapel actually private labels their stuff. It is out there under a number of names. STP something or other is one of them. I saw a list of all the products which are actually Aquapel once. It doesn't make a lot of sense to put one product under five labels and then put them on the shelf. You are just competing with yourself at that point, but I guess whatever makes them money...

Posted Image

#11 circuitsmith

circuitsmith

• Members
  • 37 posts
  • LocationWashington, DC
  • Vehicle(s):2006 Matrix 5-sp

Posted 18 April 2012 - 07:56 PM

I've been using rain-x for 20+ years and I'm very happy with it.
Didn't know there were alternatives.

#12 Bryar33092

Bryar33092

• Members
  • 586 posts
  • LocationMid-Atlantic
  • Vehicle(s):'03 Corolla LE

Posted 19 April 2012 - 02:35 AM

I agree with you, my wipers just don't do justice =\

#13 EdBoy

EdBoy

• Members
  • 453 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 19 April 2012 - 04:19 AM

been using rainx since i got the car

#14 Jaymeister

Jaymeister

• Members
  • 200 posts
  • LocationJay-ville

Posted 19 April 2012 - 03:55 PM

Rain X is a plus for me! If I can find some aquapel I'll give it shot. Stoner's Invisible glass is not good at all. It beads the rain but not as much as rain x does. In other words, you still have the to use the wipers when there is light rain and it doesn't last very long either.

#15 AaronKag

AaronKag

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 01:10 PM

I dont know, but I will be interested in the answers. A few people were saying Aquapel was a lot better than Rain-X for streaking or hazing, and I was going to try it, but maybe not ...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users