- - - - -

DBW 1ZZ AEM WIRING INFO....Need feedback

6 replies to this topic

#1 Salsa Guy

• Members
  • 435 posts
  • LocationGTA (Greater Tulsa Area)

Posted 27 March 2012 - 04:02 AM

I made up a wiring diagram for the DBW 1zz Corolla/Vibe/Matrix since AEM doesn't offer one. If anyone has done it please look over the setup and give me feedback. Thanks!

The diagram below has the common ECU connector labels (ie E3-X, E4-X, E5-X, E6-X) and not the AEM labels (A-X, B-X, D-X, E-X). All the connections on the AEM FIC remain the BUT the DBW ECU has different pinouts for Crank+/Cam+/CC- and MAF sensor

USE THIS DIAGRAM AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Posted Image
05 Matrix XR 4WD. "The Low and Slow!" 03 Vibe GT. The Old and Quick"
"If you want Government to solve your problems, then you are the problem!" BMSR

Trix MODS:
e-Bay SRI w/AEM Dry Flo, Vibrant/Magnaflow Cat-back, Voltage Stabilizer/Ground Kit, , Alutec Lightweight Crank Pulley. DRL Mod, Fog Light Mod, Sunroof Auto Stop Mod, Ceramic Brakes, TRD SC, AEM UEGO Wideband w/Auber Gauge, Greddy EMU w/Boost sensor, AEM FIC 6, Auber Boost Sensor/Gauge, Oil Catch Can, VVTi Logo Ignition Coil Cover. Lowering Springs, Tranny Cooler

Vibe MODS: DC Sports STB, K&N Drop-in, DRL Mod, Fog Light Mod, Sunroof Auto Stop Mod, Hella Horns, HID Fogs.
Soon to add: Hotchkis Sway Bar, Suspension Techniques lowering springs and Cosmo Racing SRI

#2 Salsa Guy

• Members
  • 435 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 04:47 PM

A suggestion by Jason was to remove the 10K resistor on the O2 sensor (the DBW has an AF sensor, slightly different signal) for the DBW ECU. Several people on the AEM forums have had issues with the setup.

Another mod I did for the DBC was to add two 2K resistors between the +CAM/+CRANK and to the -C/C (one resistor for each signal). This help cut out a noise issue with the AEM and stock ECU but not sure if it's needed on the DBW ECUs. Again according to the AEM Forum again some had issues with it and others didn't.

I'll mock up the drawings and add notes time permitting.

Trix MODS:
e-Bay SRI w/AEM Dry Flo, Vibrant/Magnaflow Cat-back, Voltage Stabilizer/Ground Kit, , Alutec Lightweight Crank Pulley. DRL Mod, Fog Light Mod, Sunroof Auto Stop Mod, Ceramic Brakes, TRD SC, AEM UEGO Wideband w/Auber Gauge, Greddy EMU w/Boost sensor, AEM FIC 6, Auber Boost Sensor/Gauge, Oil Catch Can, VVTi Logo Ignition Coil Cover. Lowering Springs, Tranny Cooler

Vibe MODS: DC Sports STB, K&N Drop-in, DRL Mod, Fog Light Mod, Sunroof Auto Stop Mod, Hella Horns, HID Fogs.
Soon to add: Hotchkis Sway Bar, Suspension Techniques lowering springs and Cosmo Racing SRI

#3 Salsa Guy

• Members
  • 435 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 04:52 PM

Those of you that may have been following the firework show between me and Jason, I have issued an apology for call him a name. We decided in the best interest we'd work together with a better understanding of what this thread was about.

Thanks for opening it back up Jason and cleaning up the mess.

Trix MODS:

#4 hughesjasonk

The Bad Guy!

• Administrators
  • 3,742 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 12:23 AM

View PostSalsa Guy, on 09 April 2012 - 04:47 PM, said:

A suggestion by Jason was to remove the 10K resistor on the O2 sensor (the DBW has an AF sensor, slightly different signal) for the DBW ECU. Several people on the AEM forums have had issues with the setup.

Another mod I did for the DBC was to add two 2K resistors between the +CAM/+CRANK and to the -C/C (one resistor for each signal). This help cut out a noise issue with the AEM and stock ECU but not sure if it's needed on the DBW ECUs. Again according to the AEM Forum again some had issues with it and others didn't.

I'll mock up the drawings and add notes time permitting.

View PostSalsa Guy, on 09 April 2012 - 04:52 PM, said:

Those of you that may have been following the firework show between me and Jason, I have issued an apology for call him a name. We decided in the best interest we'd work together with a better understanding of what this thread was about.

Thanks for opening it back up Jason and cleaning up the mess.

no worries bro.

there was a misscommunication. on the 03-04 you don't need the resistor on the o2 circuit but the 05-08 you do need it on the o2 circuit. the 05-08 AFR o2 is a more sensitive o2 and it cleans up the signal when the fic skews the o2 to the ecu from the o2 map and keeps you from throwing a code.

as far as the cam/crank sensors needing resistors.... it makes sense if there is noise in the signal, never really dealt with it on the fic i have read and talked to people that do that with the emb and emu.

another really huge tip that can be suggested is to add at least a 10 gauge ground wire to your ecu chasis from the A Pillar ground mount. this will help out your tuner alot when tuning on having stable power to your ecu... esp if you have alot of sterio equipment in your car.
Silence is golden.... But duck tape is silver.......

MOD LIST

#5 Salsa Guy

• Members
  • 435 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 01:47 PM

Good power and ground is always good! I have a 12 Gauge Power lead off the battery to a relay, controled by the ignition, to drive the AEM Wideband and AEM FIC. Thenofcourse a 8 Gauge Ground to the Bar behind the glove box.

Now if I understand you Jason the 10K resistor is NOT needed on the 03-04 (including the 03-06 4WD/AWD Matrix Vibe) but need it on the 05-08 1zz engines? That is different from what AEM Forum is saying, and the 03-04 diagrams they have posted. Pehaps that's why I was alway fighting codes and my closed loop tune.

Trix MODS:

#6 hughesjasonk

The Bad Guy!

• Administrators
  • 3,742 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 06:58 PM

View PostSalsa Guy, on 12 April 2012 - 01:47 PM, said:

Good power and ground is always good! I have a 12 Gauge Power lead off the battery to a relay, controled by the ignition, to drive the AEM Wideband and AEM FIC. Thenofcourse a 8 Gauge Ground to the Bar behind the glove box.

Now if I understand you Jason the 10K resistor is NOT needed on the 03-04 (including the 03-06 4WD/AWD Matrix Vibe) but need it on the 05-08 1zz engines? That is different from what AEM Forum is saying, and the 03-04 diagrams they have posted. Pehaps that's why I was alway fighting codes and my closed loop tune.

on the 03-04 they do add it if the ecu is being tempermental on that map and you keep getting codes.

further more you need to be careful trying to differentiate by dbw and dbc. some of the matrix/pontiac dbc platforms has that more sensitive afr o2. for example the 2005 toyota corolla 1zzfe dbw can be equipped with the 03-04 afr o2 or the 05-08 afr o2 depending on when it was made in the production year.
Silence is golden.... But duck tape is silver.......

MOD LIST

#7 Salsa Guy

• Members
  • 435 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 04:11 AM

The 05-06 4WD/AWD Matrix/Vibe are DBC and have the O2. I guess that's what you are talking about. If you look at the first few lines of the Diagram I posted it excludes the those. Also the TRD A/T Piggyback will work on those cars. The ECU pinouts for the 03-04 1zz Corolla/Matix/Vibe match the 05-06 1zz 4WD/AWD Matrix/Vibe (The Vibe is really 4WD, Pontiac badged it wrong) .

Trix MODS:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users